Short Term Study Visa

The short-term student category allows international students over 16 years old to come to the UK to undertake a short course. This route is mostly used by students to undertake an English Language course, a Training course or for short research as part of the Degree courses being studied abroad. Students may also use this route to come to the UK to resit an exam or re-take any modules, but should not use this route for extended periods by frequent or successive visits.

Short-term study visa requirements

Students coming under this category must prove that they have been offered an unconditional place on a course in an accepted institution, have enough money to support themselves without any recourse to public funds and can pay for their return journey. The child student applicants under 18 years of age must also ensure that they have made accommodation arrangements and have permission from their parents or legal guardian to study in the UK. The students must be accepted on a course to learn English and above 16 years old to be eligible to apply for the 11 month short-term visa. The course must be undertaken at an educational institution approved as a licenced sponsor or accredited by one of the following bodies.

  • Accreditation Body for Language Services
  • Accreditation Service for International Colleges
  • Accreditation UK
  • British Accreditation Council
  • Education and Training Inspectorate (in Northern Ireland)
  • Estyn (in Wales)
  • Education Scotland
  • Independent Schools Inspectorate
  • Office for Standards in Education (Ofsted)
  • Office for Students
  • Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education

Furthermore, if the applicant wishes to visit the UK as part of an international course, they must ensure that their educational institution has its own national accreditation, offers only a portion of the educational programme in the UK, and offers other programmes that are similar to and equivalent to a UK degree. Applicants must be above 16 years old, enrolled in an abroad UK equivalent degree programme, and conducting research at the UK recognised body in order to enter the UK under this visa for research. The short-term student visa is usually given for 6 months for any short course, including English language courses, or 11 months if the course is solely in English.